Sunday, October 13, 2013

Clubbing and Campo and Cataratas, oh my!

Life continues to be great!

On October 3rd I went clubbing for the first time! It was probably the strangest experience I've ever had, but definitely fun and I can't wait for the next time I can go. Each schools' seniors plan and throw a party at a club to celebrate that they're graduating and to raise money. Basically all teens in the area are invited, and the one that I went to there were over 6000 people in attendance. However this was the first one of the 'season' and it's one of the largest/most important secondary schools, so the others are typically smaller. There were people everywhere dancing, drinking, talking and smoking and you had to hold hands and form human chains with your friends anytime you went anywhere otherwise you wouldn't see them again for the rest of the night. The building was huge, but it was so crowded. We went to one of my host sister's friend's house before to hang out and then we all got into taxis and drove to the club. We arrived at the club around 12:30 and stayed until a little after 5 in the morning. Keep in mind this was a Thursday night.. and either 6000 students in the area would either be super tired at school in the morning, or they wouldn't show. But I didn't get to sleep (much) or go to school! My friend Leonie from Switzerland and her host mom picked me up at 8:30 and we drove 4 hours to el campo!

'El campo' basically means the country or farms. We stayed Friday- Monday on the farm that Leonie's host family owns. The land was absolutely beautiful and it was crazy to stand outside and do a 360 and not see a single other house or barn or tractor in the distance that didn't belong to them. They had dogs, chickens, sheep, cows and horses. It was all very similar to Wisconsin, except they had these:

A farm with palm trees!

It was a very relaxing weekend. I've never seen so many stars in my life! The sunsets were just as incredible! The food didn't always agree with Leonie and I so we drank a lot of tea, took quite a few siestas and watched movies. We also were our goofy selves and took tons of pictures and I even got to ride my first horse! I'm not sure if I liked it all that much- I guess I had higher expectations. In the movies it's always a rider who just hops right up with the wind blowing threw her hair as she's sprinting through a field or down a dirt road. In reality for me, it took a lot of effort to get up, the horse had a bad shoulder so we couldn't go very fast, it was kind of uncomfortable and I didn't know how to use the reins. Plus the horse kept stopping to eat various plants in the yard. I'm glad that I can add riding a horse to my reverse bucket list, but I don't think I'm really cut out to be a cowgirl. Oh well. All in all I had a great time, despite a flat tire on the way back and a few stomach aches from the (delicious, even if it did make me a little sick!) food. 

If you notice the title: Clubbing and Campo and Cataratas, oh my! You'll notice that I've included the Cataratas as well. While this isn't something that I've done yet, 10 out of the 11 inbounds are going at the end of October/beginning on November. I've included it just because I'm so excited! As Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays, and we'll be on the trip on the 31st, I've convinced the other inbounds that we're going to celebrate it with costumes and candy and a scary movie. I think they're excited too- they've never celebrated a Halloween (even if it's not the same as dressing up and going door to door begging for candy). 

I'm not going to tell you exactly what the trip is, because I want you to be surprised with the pictures when I get back. Stay tuned, and sometime in November you'll get to read stories and see pictures of the trip! 

I'm so happy here. 
Thank you to Rotary and my family and friends for this wonderful opportunity. 
But before I post, here are some more pictures from my weekend on the farm: 






Until next time!
Micah

No comments:

Post a Comment