Friday, October 18, 2013

So Happy!

So this post is going to be a little different.

While I'm here in Argentina not only do I want to try new things and learn Spanish, but I also want to grow as a person and learn more about myself.

If you're my friend on facebook then you might have seen my status:
So I can't wait until January... I'm starting my New Year's resolution now.
Each day for the next 365 days I will try my best to write a letter, facebook message, skype, email or contact in any way one person that I need to say thank you to or tell them how much I appreciate or love them or how they changed me as a person. 
If you get a gushy facebook message from me in this next year, you don't have to respond or say anything back, just read what I say and know that it's 100% true and that I'm glad you're in my life.

Scientists say that people who express gratitude are happier. Recently I was sick and watching youtube videos when I stumbled across this video:


This video is what gave me the idea. So far it's only day 3, but the 3 messages I have sent have at least made me somewhat happier, and the responses I've gotten back have made me smile, as they said that my message made them smile. It's a win-win situation for everyone. 

So while it might not be very realistic that I contact one person a day and tell them I appreciate them, I'm going to try my best. I pick the person at random, so if you're number 1 or number 365 I appreciate you all the same. I might send you it on your birthday or just a random day. You might be surprised you're one of the 365 people that I send something to. If  I don't send you something, it doesn't mean you aren't a super great person, it just means that I can only pick 365 (and probably less than that.. I know I'll forget some days or I won't have access to a computer). Maybe I'll repeat some people if I feel like it. The nice thing about this is that it's my project. I can do it how I want, and it's not a challenge, it's just something that takes five minutes and makes me happy. 

I've been doing a lot of thinking (what else is there to do when you're sick besides sleep, watch videos on youtube and think?!) and I'm so happy I'm in Argentina. Even when I'm sick. Even when I'm homesick (which is usually only when I'm sick-sick). I couldn't imagine myself in any other country. It's my perfect fit. I love the accent of Spanish. I love taking siestas. I love the food. I love the weather. I love that school is so different. I love that it's not a huge country but it's so diverse: there are big cities, mountains, volcanoes, glaciers, waterfalls, beaches, farms and salt flats. I love that life is generally slower here. I love that I can go clubbing and it's socially acceptable and I won't get in trouble. I love that everyday is different and exciting. In general it's not as mundane as my life in WI. 

There really aren't things that I hate. There are things that are different and things that I miss, but nothing I hate. 

Last weekend we hosted a young boy, Juan,  from a different province. It was a mini basketball exchange. Juan stayed with our family for four days, and in November my host brother will go live with either Juan's family or one of Juan's teammates. My host brother's basketball club had activities set up and then they also played against each other. It was all very Argentine, I feel like something like this in the US wouldn't work as well, or people would be weary about having their young children live in someone else's house for four days. (It's different than a year long exchange.. I'm 16, not 9, and the families that I stay with have background checks). 

Yesterday I went to a friend's house (mine.. not Cami's!) for the first time! Sad, I know, but it's hard making friends when there's a language barrier. School gets better everyday and I'm actually surprised with how much Spanish I know. I still have troubles, but it's been less than two months and I knew very little Spanish before hand, so give me a break. I can understand pretty much everything in normal conversation, people just need to slow it down a little for me. Teachers' lectures is another story. But I've gotten to the point where I know better Spanish than most of my classmates know English, so 95% of the time I speak in Spanish and they dumb down what the teachers say for me. 

I was going to go clubbing with Cami last night but an hour before leaving I got sick. I was really looking forward to going with her, but she has her fiesta de egresados on Thursday and I'm going to that. Plus I still have 8 months to go clubbing! 

So being sick sucks but I'm happy and I don't want to go home any time soon. 
I miss and love you all. 
Look out for a letter/message/skype date in the next year when it's your turn to receive something from me about how much I appreciate you ;) 

Micah 



No comments:

Post a Comment