Monday, March 10, 2014

200 días!


Today is my 200th day in Argentina! It was also my first day of school. On Mondays I have two hours of English and math, and we leave at 11:40. It's the first time I've seen the majority of my classmates since school got out, so it was nice to see everyone together. We spent most of class discussing what we want on our buso de egresados, and fundraisers for their class trip to Bariloche and grad. party, which, unfortunately, I won't be here for.

Since I last wrote, I went to a birthday party for another American exchange student, Kevin. It was tons of fun and it was nice to hang out with the exchange students and Kevin's classmates. During the day Kevin gave us a walking tour of Chivilcoy where we bought ingredients to make tacos and stopped for some icecream. For dinner we enjoyed our tacos and after one of the best cakes I've ever eaten and versions of the happy birthday song in 6 languages, we went clubbing.

Plaza de España en Chivilcoy

The whole group!
Apparently it's a tradition for boys in Chivilcoy to shave their heads on their 18th birthdays, so we all had some fun and cut/shaved Kevin's hair into a mohawk/mullet with weird side details. He ended up getting some weird looks in the club, as his classmates wouldn't let him completely shave it off.

Belgian, American, Swiss, Austrian, Argentine and German girls clubbing!
Right before I hopped on the bus back to Ituzaingo, I got to see the lovely Paz! She was an exchange student in Waupaca last year, and she can brighten anyone's day! It was nice to see her, and hopefully soon we'll be able to do something together!


I also went to 'El Caminito' with my host parents, and La Plata with my host parents and brother.

La Boca is a very colorful neighborhood in Buenos Aires, and 'el Caminito', literally meaning little path, is a street with touristy shops, tango dancers and restaurants. 
El Caminito



Even the trees are participating in the fun!

La Plata is the capital of the province of Buenos Aires. This is slightly confusing given the capital of Argentina is the city of Buenos Aires, which is, physically speaking, within the province of Buenos Aires. However, the city of Buenos Aires has it's own government, thus it is not actually a part of the province of Buenos Aires, but surrounded by it. In La Plata we went to a gorgeous cathedral and un museo de ciencias naturales. I apologize for the random order of the pictures. When I click 'add caption' it always moves that picture to the top.

Thiago and me
Gorgeous stained glass!

The entrance to the cathedral

In the plaza
My host mom and host brother












Afterwards we went to a gorgeous park to drink mate! I'm definitely going to miss seeing palm trees.

Cute lake with boat rentals!


So now that school has started, I'll hopefully get back into a routine. I have some fun things planned for the near future, so stay tuned! 

Un beso,
Micah


No comments:

Post a Comment