Sunday, March 23, 2014

Only 3 months left!

So during this entire exchange it's been exciting to count the time I've been here.. one week turned to two, which turned to a month and then three and then seven. It's crazy to think that I've been here for more time than I have left; I only have a little more than 3 months left.

I've gotten back into school-mode. As much as I love my classmates, I miss not having a schedule, and waking up at 6 is not fun. I've gotten used to it, but keep in mind that we don't eat dinner until 9 or 10, and then it's a few hours after that when we go to bed, so mornings are difficult and siesta-ing is kind of a necessity. I'm in what is equivalent to my senior year here, so my classmates are currently preparing for their parties and senior trip. One thing I love about Argentina is how widespread partying is... most egresados here throw parties to raise money for partying. At the end of the year, each schools' seniors throw a party at a club. They rent the club for the night and invite everyone and anyone. The seniors then wear costumes and they play a slide show. It's basically a celebration of the last 13 years they've had together. However to rent the club it costs a lot of money, so they throw parties with entrance fees and then use this money to help them pay for THE party.

With my class, aside from 'classwork', we've been working on decorating the classroom, planning fundraisers, and other fun egresado things.


My classmates!

Working on the decorations!
Last weekend I went to Carlos Keen, a town en el campo, with my host family and another exchange student. We walked around town, took pictures, ate a ton at 'Lo de Tito' and slacklined. It was a great weekend!
The old train station
"Tito's"
Food for 5... 
Slacklining!
This picture makes it appear as if I'm actually good at this.. 

There was even a rainbow on the way home!



A few days later I skipped school (oops) to go to the zoo with some friends. It is by far the coolest zoo I've been to and you can tell that they're putting in a lot of effort into wildlife conservation and (though I know nothing about animals) it appeared as if the animals were happier and had a lot more space than other zoos I've been to. We spent around 8 hours here and still didn't get to see everything, but were our normal silly selves and took tons of pictures. There were quite a few animals I've never seen, and the zoo was super interactive. We got to feed the rays in the aquarium, there was a hippo show (hippos are super interesting... watch this), there was also a very large exhibit with parrots and bats that was cool, and a 360 degree theater, which I had never even heard of. Temaiken had started out as an ice cream parlor with some outdoor bird cages owned by one of Argentina's wealthiest, and has since grown into a large organization 'that works to protect nature, educating, researching and preserving species and ecosystems', but you can still buy the ice cream (which is really good!). If you ever find yourself in Argentina (ahem, current outbounds to Argentina) I would definitely plan a day to visit! (Click here for the website) 
We're so cool. 

I wanted to get a better picture of the albino peacock but she was too fast!
They had underground tunnels that led to where the prairie dogs were! 
Probably one of the prettiest animals that exists!
But toucans are really pretty too!
So a Belgian and an American were riding a lion... 
Tortugas!
King of the meerkats!
Secretarybird

The sign was probably more exciting than the actual wallabies. 
The parrots had so much attitude. 

It was a great week! On Friday one of my friends and I went to Pia's house for her birthday! Pia's host sister lived in Wisconsin, so it was really interesting to hear her point of view on everything. Her mom went to visit her while she was on exchange and they both just kept telling me how much they absolutely love Wisconsin and how much they miss it (probably more than me.. ). We went clubbing in Buenos Aires. It was great, but I've been fighting a cold so I was a little miserable during some parts of the night. In the afternoon the next day we went out for frozen yogurt in Ciudad Jardin (it was on our exchange bucket list!) which is definitely worth the hype.

It's been cold here lately! Right now it's 56 degrees and I'm bundled up. With the cold weather and being back in school a lot of people have been getting sick. My host family has been a lot sicker than I have... send prayers or good thoughts to my host family and hope that everyone gets healthy soon!

I hope that everyone in the US is also staying healthy! Besos a todos!

Oh, and I took this quiz:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/where-should-you-have-actually-studied-abroad

I got Buenos Aires, so I guess I'm exactly where I belong. Although I recently took an online quiz called 'What country do you actually belong in?' and got Switzerland, so I think I'll have to plan a trip to visit Leonie when I get back. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment